Expecting some sad news today

I'm expecting some sad news.  It is little over a year from when I received some similar sad news. 

A little over a year ago, one of my mother's friends died of alcoholism.  I actually don't know what was on her death certificate, but the cause of her death was alcoholism.  She was in her early 60s. Through my mom, I knew her for about 20 years.  I remember few times when she wasn't under the influence of alcohol.  She had many positive qualities.  She was efficient at multi-tasking and she had a strong intellect.  Unfortunately, one of the tasks that she would do while multi-tasking was drinking.  Her employer was very compassionate and begged her to go to treatment and offered to do a lot to support her.  She denied she had a problem.  Her employer had to let her go.  She was devastated and never got over the humiliation.  She had a lot of supports and we all tried to help.  She pushed us all away.  We didn't go anywhere, but she was determined to drink herself to death.  It wasn't as quick as she would have wanted and it was slow and likely painful.  This happened after my mother's death.  I would like to think that my mom might have had some influence on her, but probably not. 

I've been told that one of my mother's others friends is also close to death from drinking alcohol.  She is also too young, in her early 70s.  The last time I spoke to her was in April when I returned from the World Men's Curling Championship.  She was very drunk during the conversation.  I could tell because she expressed great admiration for a curler that I know she despised.  She watching curling all the time with my mother and they both despised one curler.  I heard the story hundreds of times.  Yet, hear she was juxtaposition.  She was also getting curlers from different countries mixed up.  I haven't seen her since but I have been there to try and provide support to her partner.  He has always said she is not doing well and there is nothing I can do.  I've been told she is close to death. 

Some people think that addicts are all young and criminals and are addicted to methamphetamines.  These are two ladies who were middle class, had great jobs, great support networks, but the power of addiction was too powerful.  It is rare these days that alcohol is the substance of choice, but it still happens.  Addiction is powerful and it really doesn't care who you are. 

Both of my mom's friends  had partners who were trying not to enable them.  However, both of them used to order from the liquor store and have it delivered to them by taxi.  That might be a start.  If that loop-hole could be closed, it might have made a difference to these two women.  Maybe not.  But, in the absense of enough beds readily available at treatment centres, maybe making small stops like this might make a difference. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site