Word Choices are Important

Image result for army images

One of my favorite books of all time is 1984 by George Orwell.  It teaches us the importance of the words we choose.  I also believe in the visionary work of Canadian Marshall McLuhan who taught us that "the medium is the message" and the "global village".  Basically, word choices are important.  

There is a candidate for Mayor who is advertising for a party/rally that she is hosting.  She is encouraging people to come and party with her "army".  

Really.  Army.  When I look to google for army images, this is one of the milder images that come up.  That is pretty much what I envision when I hear the word Army.  Quite frankly, I don't want to party with these guys.  

And I certainly don't want to party with any candidate who refers to her supporters as her army.  We are not at war.  We are in the midst of a democratic election.  

I will be voting for the candidate that demonstrates the best opportunity to bring us together rather than martial rule.  I know I'm taking a huge leap, but that is what happens when you choose the word "army" in civic politics.  

Team might have been a better word to choose.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site