Happy Grandparents Day !!




Being a grandparent is a job that few of us interview for, yet many of us campaign for.  Before I became a grandma, grandparents would always say, "of course, you love your children unconditionally and completely, but the love of a grandchildren is a whole different level."  I would always say, "yeah, yeah, right".  I couldn't imagine loving anyone more than my children.  Then, I met Oliver.  What can I say?  There are two rules in my house.  Ones that apply to Oliver and ones that apply to everyone else.  I remember when my mom was a grandma to her 13 grandchildren.  When each one was little, she would hold them for hours and say, "I could eat you up without salt and pepper" while kissing them everywhere and laughing at each giggle.  I would look a her weirdly and mutter "get a life" under my breathe.  Now, I am holding my Oliver for dear life and telling him that I want to eat him up without salt and pepper.  The joy that this little man brings me is immeasurable. 

One of the best things about being a grandparent is sharing it with my sweetie.  He doesn't have children so he inherited my "baggage".  And, as much as I love my grandson, my sweetie may love him a little bit more.  Those two are best friends and are constantly plotting against me.  But, I have the last laugh since everything they do brings me more joy. 

Loving a grandchild is easy, but there is one aspect of the job that is difficult for some.  There are some exceptions, but it usually takes two people to produce a grandchild.  Sometimes it is difficult for us to love the one our progeny has chosen to make a life with.  I am lucky in that regard.  My son-in-law is full of life and has many gifts that he is happy to share.  He is easy to love.  But, I know not all grandparents feel the same way about a parent of their grandchildren.  They are really not fulfilling their job as a grandparent.  Forget the village thing.  What a child needs most in this world is lots and lots of love.  If you really love your grandchild, you will extend that love to all things they love, including their parents and extended family.  I don't know why people still think that love is a limited resource and there is only so much to go around.  The truth is love is an unlimited renewable resource.  The more you give, the more you have to give.  You can never run out of love.  So, don't disrespect your grandchild by not loving everyone in their life.  You have it within you.  And, it is hard enough out in the world.  Don't be having any negative energy out there in front of your grandchild.  Just love everyone and why you are at it, love yourself too.  That is the best way to celebrate grandparent's day. 

Common sense which should be common practice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site