Here's to you, Jeff Browaty!


 Related image

I joined a North Kildonan Community Facebook Page a few years ago.  I confess that I have a friend who lives in the Ward who is not the biggest fan of Jeff Browaty.  Since I don't live in the Ward and really don't know much about him, I joined the site to read a bit about it.  I've stayed a member, well, because, Winnipeg is a really small city and I have used a lot of information that I have gotten from that site.  

I think Jeff Browaty started the page and is its administrator.  It has 12,000 + members and is truly a community site.  People post looking for recommendations for pizza, they promote community events like the Fall Swap.  They ask questions about recyling and city policies.  Last week someone wished everyone in the community a happy day.  People post their addresses and say that they are leaving their extra zuchini out on a first come first serve basis.  Someone running against Jeff in the upcoming election posted his lawn signs pictures.  There are compliments to Jeff Browaty.  There are also more than a few "Jeff, you are a bum" type comments.  All posts are left up as far as I can see.  Whether you agree or disagree with your civic represenative, it is a community page.  Post what you want.  In case anyone was wondering, this is a good example of behavior of an elected official.  You don't mind being challenged.  You stand by what you believe, but, ultimately are there to serve the community as a whole's interests.  (Sorry, Nancy.)

I just want to repeat the membership of this page.  Over 12,000 members.  

This summer, I asked to join the Corydon-Osbourne Voice.  The reason I joined was because there were 8 people contesting this area for City Council.  (Now 7).  I love Corydon and I love the Village.  I wanted to keep abreast of how that election was going.  This facebook page has 238 members and many of the members have joined at the same time I did.  I know this because all new members are welcomed by the administrator.  There was a town hall meeting in this Ward on Sunday, September 16.  There was no media present.  I blogged about the meeting so I thought a community page would welcome any commentary being better than no commentary.  I offered to post my blog entry.  I just received a reply today from the administrator, who happens to be the only person posting anything.  She indicated that I should draft something and send to her for consideration, editing and approval.  On the weekend, the administrator posted a positive news article about one of the candidates.  I said this was unfair to the rest of the candidates.  The comment was removed.  I am such a badass!!

In summary.  Open Community page.  Over 12,000 members.  Closed-Minded Community page.  238 members.  

I wonder if common sense allows any conclusions to be drawm from this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site