Happy Landanniversary to my Immigrant


On Saturday, my sweetie will be celebrating his "landanniversary".   He landed in Canada on September 8.  

When I say that I live with an immigrant, I get two different responses dependent on if they know him or not.  If they know him, they say, "I never knew he was an immigrant, but actually come to think of it, I see it, which Arab Nation is he from?"

If they don't know my sweetie, they are curious, and a little cautious.  They ask if was seeking asylum and I indicate no, he just became a landed immigrant.  They ask if he came for a job.  I indicate that he didn't and he actually didn't get a job until about 18 years after he landed.  It took him that long to develop enough knowledge and skill to obtain employment.  He did a few odd jobs under the table, like caring for children and delivering flyers.  He didn't claim that income. They ask if he spoke English when he came.  I indicate that, at the time of landing, he spoke a little English but his ability was less than a Grade 1 level and he couldn't read or write English.  Then, they ask if he is a Canadian citizen now?  I indicate that he is, but it took him about 8 years before he got around to becoming a citizen.  At this point, people want to be polite, but, I can tell they are a little put off.  They are a little resentful that our tax dollars supported this "landed immigrant" for so long and he seemed to demonstrate little respect for our Canadian way of life.  He also had an operation for free prior to obtaining his citizenship or paying taxes.  He didn't even bother voting until about 16 years after he arrived in Canada.  

At this point, people are more than a little more than uncomfortable, so I tell them the whole story.  

My sweetie landed in Canada with his family when he was 4 years old.  His family was immigrating from Australia and came to Canada because his father had received an academic appointment at the University of Manitoba.  This is a milestone landanniversary.  50 years.  In addition to a long and distinguished academic career, his father was active in the community, most notably in the soccer community.  His father was in the first class of inductees in the Manitoba Soccer Hall of Fame in the builder category.  

My sweetie is still proud of his native Australia, but is more proud to be a Canadian.  He takes his citizenship very seriously, perhaps more so than some of us who got it just by being born.  In 2018 alone, he has volunteered for the following organizations:  Canadian Mental Health Association, Manitoba Soccer Association, World Curling Federation, Folkfest, and Sport Manitoba.  In the past he has been a Big Brother, and volunteered for Winnipeg Jazz Festival, Canada Summer Games, Western Canada Summer Games, Manitoba Rugby, Grey Cup Fesival, Toastmasters International, Pan Am Games, Folklorama, political candidates at all levels of government, and I''m sure I'm missing some.  Most of us have a Linked In profile.  He has a Linked In Volunteer Profile.  He certainly has done his part to make Canada the great country that it is.  

I'm just grateful that Canada is such a welcoming counttry and I hope that we all recognize that immigration enhances our country and enriches our culture.  Granted, I am a little biased because I am a little partial to my Immigrant.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site