Why The Manitoba Party.

I have a wonderful friend named David.  That's it.  That is all I wanted to say about that. 

Just kidding, my friend David is a super guy.  Just ask him.  (I'm here all week!)  Actually, I admire David deeply.  He is so in love with his face and a devoted father to his children.  He has many passions and one of them is useless knowledge that is not of any interest to anyone but him.  It is also called trivia.  Seriously, I like trivia , too, but I am so not in his league.  He is most passionate about geography, flags, and anthems.  We have played on several trivia teams and we have had a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, if we disagree on an answer, it is almost always David that is right and I am wrong.  Instead of admitting my mistake graciously, I always go to the one fault that I have on David, "Yeah, well you once wrote a speech that you would never have a cell phone and now you do!" 

So, when I blogged earlier this week about the New Manitoba Party led by Steven Fletcher, David corrected me.  He noted it wasn't a new party.  It was a previously incorporated party still on the books that Steven Fletcher has now declared himself as leader. 

David was, as usual, correct. 

In order to create a new political party in Manitoba, you must have a nomination signed by 2500 Manitobans who voted in the last provincial election.  2500 signatures is a lot, especially when you have no base. 

Someone recently posted on a facebook page that Steven Fletcher came to their door in order to get a signature in trade of a $10 Tim Horton's gift card.  Fletcher is so out of touch that he doesn't realize what a horrible company Tim's is and he thinks someone would trade their principles for a lousy Tim's card.  An irrelevant politician partnering with an increasingly irrelevant company. 

So, I guess that went no where.  So, not wanting to bother with the 2500 signatures part, he took a short-cut and just made himself leader of a party on the books. 

I think that is what we can expect from the new/old party.  Short-cuts, poor attention span, and not listening to the actual issues.  Also, isn't trading signatures for gift cards a little unethical?  Of course, I just read that on facebook.  It could be untrue.

 I'll wait until David weighs in on that.  He will be right !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site