Trump needs to visit Assiniboine Park Zoo




When I was a child, I didn't think much of the Winnipeg Zoo.  At that time, there was a zoo in Minot, North Dakota.  I don't know if it still exists, but, I know, it was more thrilling than the Winnipeg Zoo.  That was then, this is now.  

Assiniboine Park and the Zoo are world class facilities.  A few years ago, I was able to meet some of the leadership of the Assiniboine Park Conservancy.  I was impressed with their vision and their five year strategic plan to move the park and the zoo forward. The strategic plan was ambitious, however, they have been able to keep pace.  Personally, I think it would benefit the city immensely if all publicly assisted organizations were asked to develop a five year strategic plan, and that strategic plan should not just be to maintain the status quo.   

I became a zoo member a couple of years ago, and thankfully, it was roughly the time when my grandson came along, so I can see my zoo membership is really so that I can take my grandson to visit.  The truth is, he sort of holds me back and can't keep pace with me - yet.  

Forget mall walking, zoo stepping is a great workout and you never have the same experience.  I can't even narrow it down to the top 10 things I like about the Zoo and the Park, I really like and appreciate it all.  Just when I think I've asked all the questions I can think of, I learn something new.  On my last visit, I learned that the Kangaroos stay outside until it gets below -10 and also they love to play in the snow.  Even when they are in the barn in winter, zoo stay still bring in snow for them to play with.  

If you aren't awed by The Journey to Churchill, then that just means you have never been there.  It is amazing all the details and thought gone into this extravaganza.  During our last visit, we were fortunate enough to watch two polar bears playing together in the water.  We were in the tunnel in the learning centre and were treated to a once in a lifetime performance.  They played together for about 20 minutes and I was mesmerized every second.  

One thing that I appreciate about the Zoo is the many opportunities for interactive learning.  There is a huge educational board on climate change.  It is tracked for thousands of years.  Climate change has been happening since the Earth first emerged.  The difference now is that it is accelerating at a pace never seen before and because of man-made influences and not just as a result of nature.  It is explained well and logically.  It is not intended to make us feel guilty, but it does motivate us to do our part for the environment and for the climate.  

Denying climate change is like denying that the Earth is round.  There is no basis to deny that climate change exists.  It exists and has always existed.  Only a complete idiot would deny climate change and its affect on the world.

Donald Trump denies climate change.  He needs to visit our Zoo.  It might not change his mind on global warming, but, he definitely would be able to enjoy himself and have something positive to tweet about for a little while.   Of course, he would have to keep his MAGA baseball cap on so that we would be able to distinguish him from the monkeys.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site