Fear-Mongering

Image result for marijuana images funny

I have a generalized anxiety disorder so I am pretty much afraid of everything.  Many of my fears are irrational, but that doesn't stop me from being afraid of them.  I know what it is like to be afraid to go outside and to be afraid to speak up.  That is why people who engage in fear-mongering really bug me.  I already spend too much of my life in fear, I don't need some anonymous cowards piling on.  

October 17 is supposed to be the day for legalization of marijuana in Canada.  That is what the people in support of it call it.  Those who are opposed call it the decriminalization.  Words are powerful.  People opposed still want to keep the "criminal" in the word hoping we are influenced by their pettiness.  The October 17 date was set by the Prime Minister.  He originally hoped that it would be legalized on July 1.  But, that didn't give enough time, the detractors argued.  So, it was pushed back. 

The supporters of legalization think this will have as much impact in our lives as Y2K.  Remember that.  The world was at tremendous risk of ending.  And, then nothing really happened.  They believe October 17 will come and go as it usually does with little impact to our daily lives.  

Then, there are the "chicken littles" in the world who go around telling people that the sky is falling hoping to create panic.  I'm sure these people are behind all the "information" on the internet that are warning us about our inability to cross the border into the US if we ever have used, even once, or if we have any investments in cannabis stock.  They also are reporting on the tremendous fines that one may be subject to if they discover a small amount of marijuana on our person.  

First, the border crossing issue.  Last time I was playing poker in the US, I sat at a table of people who were denigrating Canada.  As one of my defences, I pointed out how progressive a country we were to legalize marijuana.  Big deal, was the response, and what took you so long was another?  I was told that recreational use of cannabis is legal in 9 states (Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevade, Oregon, Vermont, Washington) plus the District of Columbia.  Also, it has been decriminalized in another 13 states and the US Virgin Islands.  That is almost half of their country.  So, you mean to tell me that their border agents are really going to be concerned if I smoked (but never inhaled) a joint once thirty years ago !>!  Common sense dictates that they can't possibly have that big of a double standard.  

Also, what is this about investments?  It seems to be that having stock in cannabis might be a wise investment for some.  Regardless, how is this going to be monitored?  Do we have to bring our investment statements to the border.  I am certainly in favour of transperancy but I don't even tell my partner how much or how little I have invested, I am certainly not going to tell a border agent I don't know.  And, what if I have 2% of cannabis stock in one of my mutual funds?  Do you think that is going to prevent my entry in the US where I plan to donate hundreds of dollars to their economy?  I really think not.  

So, these big fines.  Well, of course, there will be a fine for using a substance and driving.  However, the police have stated they are not going to waste their time or the time of the courts on small personal use only amounts of marijuana   Law enforcement feels that doesn't make common sense, and this is even before October 17.  

There is also some information going around that if you have a single plant, your residence could be declared a grow-op and you wouldn't be able to get mortgage insurance or home-owner's insurance.  And, the designation of grow-up would be for life, so it would be unlikely that you could even purchase the property anyway, because you would never qualify for a mortgage.  I am not a realtor or a banker, so I can't speak on this, but it doesn't make a lot of sense.  Insurance companies love taking your money.  They can identify issues which might hike up your rates, but the insurance industry is also competitive meaning there is more one out there.  It does pay to shop around.  The health of the real estate market is a good indicator of health of our total economy so I don't think banks want to automatically discourage the real estate market by worrying about a little plant growing in a pot out of the way.  An actual grow-op would carry some negative baggage, but I don't think a plant here or there would need to be registered in some sort of real estate listing.  If offensive plants need to be registered, then I would like to report my neighbour.  He has lilac bushes hanging over his fence and I am allergic to them.  Of course, I don't really have any expertise in this matter.  Just some common sense.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site