Libraries are Important


I was meeting a friend at the Millennium Library at 10 am, when it opens.  I am my parent's daughter so I am early for everything.  I can't help it, it just is in my DNA.  I was there at 9:30.

I use my branch library with some frequency.  I like to read to my toddler grandson when he is visiting and I am a political junkie.  There is always new books coming out but I simply have no desire to buy a tell-all about Agent Orange.  Plus, he has so many people turn on him, that there is a new one every week.

Anyway, the Millennium Library has always been a place that I have loved but don't visit very often.  I think it has been years since I was there.  Quite frankly, the biggest issue that keeps me from the downtown library is parking.  It is both costly and inconvenient.  Actually, the last time I was at the Millennium Library was 8 years ago.  I remember because I had a nasty conversation with the woman working at the exit of the parking garage.  I actually feel sorry for the Mayor and Council.  They can do all that they do, but, one city employee with no customer service skills can leave a very sour face in one's mouth.

Anyway, I wasn't worried about arriving too early because I was going to enjoy a leisurely cup of over-priced coffee in the coffee shop.  It is now closed.  I really haven't been there in a while.  I don't know how long the spot has been empty but that is revenue in the form of rent that the city could use.

At 9:30 am, there were about 25 people waiting for the library to open.  I would estimate the youngest person was 3 months old and the oldest person was about 80.  There were students, young moms, retired people, people in suits, just a mixture of all demographics.

And, more people started to come and wsit for the library to open.  By 10 am, there were about 200 people waiting.  I never realized that the library is important to that many people. 

I tried to be cool and hang back from the crowd.  At 9:59 am, there were 4 security guards manning the gate to make sure it was exactly 10 am and no one was let in a moment early.  By the time I got in and went to the washroom, all the workstations facing the windows were all taken.  At 10 am, there were two library technicians waiting to check books out.  And 4 security guards.  I know there were other library employees on the other floors, but 4 security guards.  There might have been even more that were working behind the scenes.  But, 4 just seemed like a lot.  I guess it is unfortunate but reality that we need security guards in the library.  The library is filled with signs that say "everyone is welcome" and "treating all with respect".  I don't think these signs would be there if they weren't needed.  It is just really sad that this isn't common sense and we have to tell people that.

I had previously assumed that the Millennium Library was something nice to have but had outlived its purpose.  After all, I hadn't been there in years so I assumed everyone was like me.  I didn't realize how important it was to the 200 people waiting to get it.  It is a meeting place, a place to use the internet, a place to read the newspaper, and a place where you can find information about community resources.  It is serving a huge market in the downtown area.  Their circulation numbers are probably declining every year, but, none the less, libraries are very important.

There is a civic election coming up in just over a month.  I hope each Mayoral candidate spends a day at the Millennial Library and then realizes how important this community resource is to the community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site