There's Something About Jenny.....

There is something about Jenny Motkaluk that I just can't put my finger on, but, something about her just rubs me the wrong way. 

Maybe it is because her first foray into civic politics was in 2010 when she was defeated by Ross Eadie in the Mynarski Ward.  No offence to Councilor Eadie, but he is rather a light-weight in politics.  If Jenny is all that she says she is, she should have been able to defeat him. 

Then, she started campaigning in the spring before the writ was dropped.  In her first major interview, the first thing she said that she was not Gord 2.0.  I guess it was a reference to Gord Steeves who was representing the "right spectrum" of voters in the last election for Mayor.  It was supposed to be a tight race between him and Judy, and in the end, he finished fourth.  She hasn't said it outright but in her social media and in the way she announces policy, she is right of right. 

Regardless, she is well organized and has dominated the media.  She indicates she has several people working for her full-time and some are paid positions.  I admire that about her.  When Brian Bowman was launching his re-election campaign, she was holding a simultaneous news conference bashing him.  I think a courteous politician would have waiting to hear what he actually had to say before bashing it.  I don't know if I like a politician who doesn't think listening is a valuable skill. 

I find her social media uses a lot of strong words.  Decisive.  Demanded.  Strong.  Forged.  Her social media also includes a lot of absolutes.  There is a lot of "nevers" and "always".  What I don't see anywhere are the words compassion, respect, tolerance, consensus or inclusive.  Obviously, many are responding to her "strong" messages.  I'm not.  In my Winnipeg, those strong words just don't apply.  We have a very unique city in which we have many vulnerable people.  Yes, I want my City Council to be fiscally responsible, yet I don't want this to be to the detriment of those who don't have a strong voice or representation.  I want our next Mayor to have compassion for everyone and not just the right of right few that are the vocal minority. 

A lot of people are making an issue of her chicken comment issued to Mayor Bowman.  They indicate that she is mud-slinging.  I think that is mild and I am willing to give her a pass on that one.  We will see what tone she takes going forward.  What is troubling to me is the amount of team members she is losing.  She has lost more than a few of her valued "campaign team members" and they left citing ethical reasons.  That is very concerning. 

I am of the opinion that the city basically runs itself.  Most of the city budget is taken up by their contractual obligations.  When it snows, the snow will be cleared regardless of who is Mayor.  So, the biggest thing I look for in a Mayoral candidate is common sense, will they be an effective cheerleader for Winnipeg in all opportunities they have, and do they have compassion. 

Jenny was invited to attend an event on Overdose Awareness Day to listen to stories from citizens.  She declined to listen and held a news conference indicating that more "law and order" was the answer to the addiction problem.  I attended and learned a lot from the brave sharers. 

Yes, there's something about Jenny that rubs me the wrong way.  I can't put my finger on it, but it certainly is not compassion or empathy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site