Who Changed?

Do I look like a rocker chick?  That would be a change for me.  I'm actually a huge Fanilow.

Last evening, I experienced another transformation, but the question remains, who changed?

I get my gas at one of two gas stations.  The one that I patronize about 90% of the time has excellent customer service and it doesn't matter what time of day I go or what day.  They always have superior customer service.  By superior customer service, I mean that they smile at me and thank me for coming in.  The bar is not incredibly high.

The other one I only patronize when I am really desperate for gas and don't want to chance it to go to the other station.  I have never had good customer service.  In fact, I have had horrible customer service.  Don't get me started on the many "car wash" incidents.  But, basically, it has all been one attendant.  She and I just seem to clash.  Two times, I was so upset that I called her manager.  Of course, I presented my feedback as "coaching opportunities" but I was pretty hysterical so who knows how that was received.  All I know is that it didn't seem to improve customer service.

Until last night.  I pulled to the pump and looked in the window. It was her.  I prepared for the worst.  I started pumping my gas.  She came out to have a cigarette.  Then, she yelled at me.  Here it comes.  She yelled at me that she caught me yawning and some sort of comment that I must have had a long day.  I smiled.  Next thing you know, we were yelling at each other, but only because we were 30 feet apart.  We were having a conversation.  Someone came to buy ice and she left her smoke going and came back out.  By that time, I was finished pumping my gas and joined her.  She was going to butt out her cigarette and I told her to finish.  I wasn't in a hurry and she likely deserved a break.  Now, we talked using our inside voices.  Not only were we talking, we were smiling, and chuckling.  It was a good conversation.  She finished her cigarette and we went in to complete this transaction and continued to chat.  When I was done paying for my gas, she handed me the receipt and said, "have a great night, sweetie."

A positive experience.  Why was this positive after so many negative experiences?  We had history, after all.  The question remains, who changed?

Also, I am starting to think of other people who I have similar negative history with.  It is possible that these relationships can change as well?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site