How Do I Decide Who To Vote for in Mayoral Election?

Related image



Maybe I expect too much from journalism.  But, I do expect them to be be aware of their power to influence. 


Page 1 of the City/Business section has a large picture of Bowman.  It is actually a small picture of him but he is surrounded by 12 campaign signs.  So, the feeling you get is he is one of the little guys, just a regular Joe.  You also get the feeling that he has a lot of support.  Including his dais, Mayor Bowman is shown 10 times.  

In the article, he is described as pressing rivals on road revival plans.  As far as I know, this is his first big offensive.  He must be worried.  Yet, him challenging his rivals behind the guise of a press conference is just like me criticizing someone from behind my keyboard.  Pretty easy to do since I am not giving them a forum to reply.  But, I am not a journalist, I am just a local blogger.  There has been tons of debates this week.  Why did he not challenge his opponents when he actually had the opportunity to do so and to have discussion about it.  Secondly, the headline is misleading.  He may have issued the challenge but it also records the response of the majority of candidates.  So, it wasn't actually a news article, just an opportunity for Mayor Bowman to have a photo opportunity.  The media is just being played.  

On the bottom of the page, there is a story about Mayoral candidate Jenny Motkaluk.  It features a small picture of Jenny in front of a podium.  It looks like she is alone.  It is subtle, but it looks like she is unsupported.  The headline indicates she mulls skipping debates with all 8 candidates.  The headline doesn't match the story.  First of all, she says she is going to take every one on a case by case basis.  Calling them debates is a bit of a stretch.  It is my understanding that each candidate gets the same amount (not much) time to answer questions and there is very little debate.  How can we get an idea of a person's vision when they have less than a minute to speak.  Anyone can look good in a minute.  One "debate" got less than 50 audience members.  They would have been better off getting into groups of 6 and having 10-15 minutes with each candidate.  Speed-dating is popular for a reason.  It has some good points and would be a better way for those concerned to connect with the candidates.  

I believe Motkaluk has challenged Bowman to 1:1 debate and he has indicated that he will only attend forums where all 8 candidates are represented.  In that way, he is ensuring that he will never be too vulnerable.  Another way to say this is that, he doesn't want to have exposure and accountability on his record.  

Two pages later, there is a huge picture of Don Woodstock wearing a medallion that looks a lot like an Order of Canada medallion.  I gues the Free Press is trying to cast aspersion on his character.  Don Woodstock has run for a lot of offices.  Winnipeg voters are familiar with him.  The story is just a story giving him some exposure.  He doesn't have much of a platform so the press feels they owe him some coverage so they make a big deal of his theatrics.  It really is fake news.  

I am still an undecided voter.  I don't have time to go to what I think is going to be a meaningful debate and have it be a waste of time.  And, I don't think the media is living up to the high standards to which I hold them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site